Subject: Re: How to use git attributes to configure server-side checks?

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:28:30 +0200

On 09/26/2011 06:09 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On 09/24/2011 08:15 AM, Jeff King wrote:
>> For most software projects, the user does
>>
>>     git pull
>>     make
>>
>> daily.  There is nothing that a nasty .gitconfig can do that can't be
>> done more easily by a nasty Makefile (or anything else in the build
>> process).  The moment I pull from Junio's repository and run a build
>> without having personally done a full code review first, I've given
>> Junio complete pownership of my account.
> 
> I suspect that argument is somewhat leaky.
> 
> Will I be the _only_ one you will be pulling from?  What if I were not so
> careful and relay a contaminated in-tree configuration file (which I would
> never use myself) to trusting downstream users like you?

I'm not saying that trusting in-tree configuration files makes sense for
everybody, and in the open-source world one must be very careful about
doing so.  But I think that among closely-cooperating groups (e.g.,
personal projects, many projects in industry) (1) we don't pull from
outside the group and (2) we are forced to trust each other pretty
completely anyway.  So I think that there are many sane use-cases for
giving users the opportunity to "bless" an in-tree config.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/