Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: Add js=1 before an URI fragment to fix line number links

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:44:03 +0200

Am 9/27/2011 0:28, schrieb Peter Stuge:
> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> You don't have to explain these to *me* specifically as a response
>> to this thread. What I meant was that your patch should have these
>> necessary descriptions in its proposed commit log message.
> 
> IMO not so neccessary if one knows a little web and javascript, which
> is probably likely for a gitweb change..
> 
> It's a simple fix of links broken by manual URI manipulation that
> didn't consider fragments. Is the subject description really not
> enough?

No, it is not. The target audience of a commit message are people like I
am. I do know a bit of Perl, and a bit of Javascript; I know how an URL is
structured; I would find my way through the gitweb code if the need
arises. But I am not an expert in any of these areas.

The subject alone is not sufficient because I do not know for sure what an
"URI fragment" is or what role line numbers in gitweb's links play. The
explanations and examples you gave in a later email were very
enlightening, and they would be very helpful if *I* am forced to hack
gitweb, and if I need to understand why this particular change was good.

Finding the right balance between verbosity and terseness needs practice,
but to write *no* justification is practically always wrong.

-- Hannes