Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2011, #04; Mon, 12)

From: Pascal Obry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:03:55 +0200

Le 13/09/2011 11:46, Erik Faye-Lund a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Junio C Hamano<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>
>>> [Stalled]
>>>
>>> * po/cygwin-backslash (2011-08-05) 2 commits
>>>   - On Cygwin support both UNIX and DOS style path-names
>>>   - git-compat-util: add generic find_last_dir_sep that respects is_dir_sep
>>
>> Honestly I lost track of this one. How would we want to proceed on this
>> topic after 1.7.7?
>>
>> Asking help from Windows folks.
>
> I believe Hannes pointed out that there were some work left to be done
> on it ("enable backslash processing in setup.c:prefix_filename()"),
> and I didn't spot a new version after that. He also pointed out that
> enabling backslash processing would cause you to lose the ability to
> escape special characters, but it sounds to me like this is something
> that simply "comes with the territory" of supporting win32-paths in a
> POSIX-ish environment, and is already the governing convention in
> Cygwin. But I'm not an expert on this topic; Cygwin is not something I
> usually care much about.

Same here, not expert. I just can say that this at least fixes a real 
problem and the patches (provided by Theo and I) are going in the right 
direction. They may be some other issues about Windows backslash (my 
experiences show that there is very entertaining issues with this!) but 
I don't think we should hold those patches except if someone prove them 
to be wrong.

Pascal.

-- 

--|------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
--| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
--|------------------------------------------------------
--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
--|
--| gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B