Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCHv2] git-p4: handle files with shell metacharacters

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:06:06 +0100

On 27/09/11 14:03, Pete Wyckoff wrote:

<snip>

>
> If you don't mind, I'll just queue it up with the utf16 and
> test-refactor stuff I have, and send it all to Junio post-1.7.7.
> Here's how I plan to adjust your tests, given the feedback that
> Junio gave earlier and from reading other tests in t/.
>
> 		-- Pete

Pete - I've just noticed that t9803 sets P4EDITOR up for the wrong commit.

It works fine for me in my the setup I've got at home but on another 
setup hangs trying to run vi from within the test.

It looks like two or possibly three bugs combine with each other.

(a) my misplacement of P4EDITOR

(b) git-p4 doesn't check the return code from system(editor + fileName) 
at around 1018, so it just carries blithely on.

(c) "git var GIT_EDITOR" called from within the test harness gives 
differing results. In one setup I get "vi", in another, nothing. The 
tests pass in the latter case.

I'll submit a new patch series to fix (a) and (b). I'm not sure if (c) 
is a bug or a feature. If I get very keen I might also include a tidied 
up version of the recent patch for turning off the editor explicitly.

Luke