Subject: Re: Merge seems to overwrite unstaged local changes

From: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:27:40 +0200

On 29.09.2011 15:07, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:

>> There recently have been quite a change in merge-recursive implementation
>> and it would be really nice if you can try this again with the tip of
>> 'master' before 1.7.7 final ships.
>
> The unstaged changes do not seem to get lost during the merge anymore
> when using git version 1.7.7.rc3.4.g8d714 on Linux. I guess that
> somewhat confirms that there's a bug in git<  1.7.7. I'll write a word
> of warning to our in-house git users that they should always commit
> before merging ...

It seems I'm not the only one who lost code due to this bug. For a more 
detailed analysis see this blog post:

http://benno.id.au/blog/2011/10/01/git-recursive-merge-broken

As it turns out, my use case also involves a rename of the file in which 
changes were lost. And just like for the blog's author it somewhat 
concerns me and shakes my confidence in Git for how long this severe bug 
slipped through undetected.

-- 
Sebastian Schuberth