Subject: Re: Git attributes ignored for root directory

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:35:18 +0200

On 10/05/2011 07:38 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>  - If the pattern is a single dot and nothing else, it matches everything
>    in the current directory.

This disagrees with shell usage, where "." represents a directory
itself, not the files within a directory.  By the trailing slash rule
that you quoted, "./" should also represent the containing directory.

Given that git currently tries to ignore directories and only think
about files, the consistent thing to do would be to declare "." and "./"
as undefined.  Because someday git *may* want to get a bit smarter about
directories, and at that time it would be a shame not to have "." and/or
"./" available to represent the containing directory.  (But implementing
it will require some special-casing within the attr module, which is
currently pretty stupid.)

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/