Subject: Re: [PATCH 07/14] is_refname_available(): remove the "quiet" argument

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:35:39 +0200

On 10/13/2011 02:41 PM, Drew Northup wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 09:58 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
>> From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
>>
>> quiet was always set to 0, so get rid of it.  Add a function docstring
>> for good measure.
> 
> I would like to know if perhaps it was an unfinished project somewhere
> to propagate the "quiet" option down to this level before removing the
> function argument. Comments?

The is_refname_available() function, including the quiet option, was
added in c976d415e53 (coincidentally the same commit that added
RENAME-REF).  I am unable to find any use of the function with quiet=1
anywhere in history.

>> +/*
>> + * Return true iff a reference named refname could be created without
> 
> Did you really mean "iff" (as in "if and only if") or just plain "if"
> here?

I did indeed mean "if and only if".  Are you asking because you think
that abbreviation is too obscure, or because you think that "if and only
if" is logically incorrect here and I should have used "if"?

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/