Subject: Re: [PATCH] pack-objects: protect against disappearing packs

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:06:11 +0200

Am 10/14/2011 3:23, schrieb Jeff King:
> In practice, however, adding this check still has value, for
> three reasons.
> 
>   1. If you have a reasonable number of packs and/or a
>      reasonable file descriptor limit, you can keep all of
>      your packs open simultaneously. If this is the case,
>      then the race is impossible to trigger.

On Windows, we cannot remove files that are open. If I understand
correctly, this patch keeps more files open for a longer time. Is there
any chance that packfiles remain now open until an unlink() call?

I am not worried about parallel processes (we already have a problem
there), but that this can now happen within a single process, i.e., that a
single git-repack -a -d -f would now try to unlink a pack file that it
opened itself and did not close timely.

I'll test your patch later this weekend to see whether the test suite
finds something. But perhaps you know the answer already?

-- Hannes