Subject: shallow&single-branch clone?

From: Norbert Nemec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:30:48 +0200

Hi there,

it seems like there is no way to clone a single branch with truncated 
history.

Truncating history is done by 'git clone --depth 1', there is not way to 
restrict 'clone' to a single branch (the --branch option still downloads 
all branches and only then chooses something other than HEAD as active 
branch).

The manual sequence
	git init
	git remote add -t master -f origin URL
	git checkout
allows a clone of a single branch but offers no means to truncate history.

The least intrusive solution would be an additional option to clone, 
perhaps '--branch-only'.

More user friendly, this options should be on by default when --depth is 
set. After all: who would expect branches to be cloned when the history 
is explicitely truncated?

Ideas?

Greetings,
Norbert Nemec