Subject: Re: Folder level Acces in git

From: Joshua Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:21:41 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Eugene Sajine
Date: 11/3/2011 1:28 PM
> Are you sure that the way your have organized the repository is
> actually correct? If you need to manage the access on folder level why
> don't you simply split up the project into several
> repositories/projects which each team is going to work with
> independently?
>
> This seems to me to be much simpler and cleaner solution then any
> other alternative.
>
Submodules are _not_ simple at all.  Our organization of nearly 100 
developers using Git pretty much let out a collective cheer when we 
finally removed the submodules.  Submodules are an absolute pain to 
develop within; there are a number of Git mailing list exchanges about 
that, but I'd be happy to go into great detail if anybody cares.  Even 
submodules that are read-only are a pain as it takes two steps (git pull 
+ git submodule update) to actually get them up to date.

Ick.

In short, if it is an absolute requirement to manage access to a 
repository on a folder level, get Subversion or Perforce.  DVCS is not 
for you...

Josh