Subject: Re: Switch from svn to git and modify repo completely

From: Matthias Fechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:21:06 +0100

Am 19.11.2011 19:50, schrieb Alexey Shumkin:
> take a look at "git filter-branch"

thanks a lot for your answer. I checked the manual page, but it does not
work like I expected it or it is described. What I did:

1. I searched the path name with the command:
git show --pretty="format:" --name-only firstrev..endrev | sort | uniq
|grep sdcc

2. I tried to remove the file with the command:
git filter-branch -f --tree-filter 'rm -f
software/tools/net.sourceforge.eclipsesdcc-1.0.0-win32.x86.zip'
--prune-empty -- --all

git told me:
Ref 'refs/heads/master' was rewritten
Ref 'refs/remotes/origin/master' was rewritten
WARNING: Ref 'refs/remotes/origin/master' is unchanged

3. I cloned the repository with:
git clone --no-hardlinks repo-orig.git repo-filtered.git

4. After this I verified in the repo-filtered.git that the file was
really completely removed, but it was not the case. I was able to
checkout the revision which holds the file.

Regarding the manual page it should work... but reality is different.
Has here anyone an idea what I did wrong?

Bye
Matthias

-- 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
Rich Cook