Subject: Re: [RFC] deprecating and eventually removing "git relink"?

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:58:32 -0500

On 11/21/2011 05:19 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> Yes, that is one way to do it. The big drawback there is that by
> using hard links, you can only share objects between repos within
> the same filesystem.

Yep, hard links requires same filesystem, but means you don't have to
have a central repo that you have to gc very carefully.

> So yeah, I think it's a perfectly reasonable approach, if you don't
> mind the hard link requirement, and your relink is something like
> "git relink ~/linux-repos/*".

That's the idea.

To sum up, it appears there are 3 possible implementations:

1) hard link + master repo with mutual awareness
2) hard link + no master repo or inter-repo awareness
3) alternatives + master repo with mutual awareness

With #1 you can auto relink when any child does gc

With #2 the repos don't need to be aware of each other

With #3 the repos don't need to be on the same fs, can auto relink
when any child does gc, but moving a child or removing the master repo
causes breakage