Subject: Re: [msysGit] [PATCH 1/2] MSVC: Do not close stdout to prevent a crash

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:24:03 +0100

Am 22.11.2011 07:45, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:
>>> To prevent the crash and to prevent git from writing cruft into the
>>> patch
>>> file, we do not close stdout, but redirect it to "nul" instead.
>> A more robust solution is to add invalidcontinue.obj to the linker
>> command line. This installs an invalid argument handler that does not
>> abort, and restores a sane behavior.
> 
> This seems to work only for release builds or did I miss something ?

I cannot tell, but I would be surprised if that were the case. I didn't
test with debug builds (only our 'make MSVC=1' build). A cursory look at
the CRT source code does not show anything that would be different
between a debug and a release build regarding invalidcontinue.obj.

> Is there any argument to not redirect stdout to "/dev/null" on all
> platforms ?

You paper over a crack in the wall. You hide a bug.

-- Hannes