Subject: Auto update submodules after merge and reset

From: Max Krasnyansky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:55:09 -0800

Does anyone have a pointer to a thread/discussion that explains why git 
submodules are not auto
updated when the superproject is updated (merge, reset, etc) by default?

Assuming a simple and default setup where submodule update policy is set 
to "checkout".
It seems that the default and sane behavior should be to update 
(checkout) corresponding submodule
commit to track the superproject.
I can't seem to find convincing explanation why it's not the case :). 
Having to manually update
submodules after pull or reset has been error prone and confusing for 
the devs I work with.

I'm thinking about adding a config option that would enable automatic 
submodule update but wanted
to see if there is some fundamental reason why it would not be accepted.

Thanx
Max