Subject: [HELP] Adding git awareness to the darning patch management system.

From: Peter Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:17:22 +1000

I'm the author of the darning patch management system 
<http://darning.sourceforge.net/> and would like some help adding git 
awareness to the system.  At this stage of the development, "awareness" 
is fairly simple concept with two broad aims:

1. presenting the file tree of the sources being patched in a way that 
makes sense to the user including the current status of files from the 
point of view of the underlying SCM (in this case, git), and

2. detecting files with uncommitted changes (from the SCM's point of 
view) when the user adds them to a patch (or pushes a patch that 
contains them) so that they may be alerted to the fact and offered the 
choice of absorbing the uncommitted changes into the patch (or not).

I've already implemented this interface for Mercurial (with which I am 
familiar) and looked at doing the same with git but had difficulty 
discovering the definitive mechanisms for obtaining the necessary data. 
  So I'm soliciting your help in overcoming these problems.

Darning's source is managed by Mercurial and can be perused at:

<http://darning.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/darning/darning>

The interface to be implemented is defined in the file 
darning/scm_ifce.py and the implementation for Mercurial is in the file 
scm_ifce_hg.py.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter