Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 0/4] git-p4: small fixes to branches and labels; tests

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:14:34 +0000

On 30/11/11 14:55, Vitor Antunes wrote:
> Luke Diamand<luke<at>  diamand.org>  writes:
>
>> In adding the test case for labels I also found and fixed a few other
>> small bugs in the label handling:
>>
>>   - labels missing a description or "EOT" in their text cause problems;
>>   - labels without an owner cause problems.
>>
>> I also noticed, but did not fix, that you can't have more than one label
>> per commit (the others are silently dropped) and the documentation for
>> branch import could be improved. I've added a (failing) test case for
>> the multiple label problem.
>
> Hi Luke,
>
> Seeing that you have some experience using labels, could I kindly ask you to
> include some description of it in git-p4.txt?

OK, if you can help me understand what's going on...

The label-detection bug that I've described, on further investigation, 
looks to be a fundamental limitation.

With perforce, I can check out the head revision, and then tag just a 
single file. If I then check out on that tag, I get just that one file.

I think I can't do that with git; certainly fast-import can't do it.

So the code in git-p4 that is checking the file vs label counts (git-p4 
around line 1496) is actually trying to say "this label can't be 
imported into git".

If my understanding is correct, I can then fix my test and update the 
docs and the code to explain this.

As an aside, git-p4.txt currently has quite good information on the 
config variables, but nothing on the command line variables. Possibly 
that should be fixed.

Cheers!
Luke