Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] push: --ignore-stale option

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:48:54 +0100

On 12/14/2011 12:35 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>     You however should be testing these 7 before pushing them out anyway,
>     and the sane way to do so is to check one out, test it, push it, and
>     iterate that sequence 7 times. If you do so, a workable alternative is
>     to use the configuration to push the current branch and you do not need
>     this patch series at all.
> 
>     Perhaps this series encourages a wrong workflow in that sense. I dunno.
> 

I for one really love it and will probably make an alias to use for most of
my repos. With 'maint' branches (with topics) being worked on by one team and
'master' (with topics) being worked on by a different group, but all branches
generally checked out, tracked and touched by everyone sooner or later, I've
come to just ignore the "not fast-forward" error. I've never stopped loathing
it though, since git should just *know* that it doesn't fast-forward because
I haven't done anything and not because I've done something (and maybe
forgotten to push) and someone else has done something different, which would
actually be interesting for me to know.

So big thumbs up and three loud "hurrah"'s for this.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.