Subject: Re: git-p4 using notes

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:55:59 +0000

On 16/12/11 16:07, Michael Horowitz wrote:
> For those of you using git-p4 because of a company requirement to use
> Perforce, but really wish you could use git only, the most frustrating
> part is the fact that when changes are submitted, the commit message
> is rewritten to include a reference to the P4 change number which is
> used by the sync.  When syncing back changes, this causes the commit
> hash to be different, and so blows away your old commit and any parent
> commit references and such.
>
> I read someplace, I can't remember where at this point, that if git-p4
> used notes to write the P4 change information, that would not impact
> the commit hash, so when merging back, things would not be
> overwritten, and you can maintain branches and commit history properly
> in git.
>
> I just ran into this project, where it seems that someone has
> re-written git-p4 to use notes: https://github.com/ermshiperete/git-p4
>
> I was wondering if any of the maintainers of git-p4 has considered
> this, and might want to leverage this work to merge into the main git
> repo, possibly with an option to choose between the two behaviors.

I'm not sure I qualify for such a grand title as maintainer, but I was 
going to give this a go in the new year as it would be quite useful, 
unless someone beat me to it. I want to fix some problems with labels 
first though.

Regards!
Luke