Subject: Re: [PATCH] attr: map builtin userdiff drivers to well-known extensions

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:05:27 +0100

Am 16.12.2011 20:21, schrieb Jeff King:
> I'm not clear from what you wrote on whether you were saying it is
> simply sub-optimal, or whether on balance it is way worse than the
> default funcname matching.

I'm saying the latter. Okay, we're talking "only" about hunk headers.
But when you are reviewing patches, they are *extremely* useful and a
time-saver; when they are wrong or not present, they are exactly the
opposite.

> So, I'm confused. If you are using this, surely you have "*.c diff=xcpp"
> in your attributes file, and my patch has no effect for you,

Sure I have. What I didn't say (sorry for that!), but wanted to hint at
is that this is to experiment with a pattern in order to ultimately
improve the built-in pattern. The topic came up just the other day, and
I took Thomas Rast's suggestion to experiment with a simplified pattern:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/186355/focus=186439

But as is, the built-in pattern misses way too many anchor points in C++
code.

-- Hannes