Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix capitalization of "renamelimit" in docs to agree with code

From: Pete Harlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:13:23 -0800

On 12/18/2011 05:02 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Pete Harlan <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Signed-off-by: Pete Harlan <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>> The documentation and bash-completion have always capitalized
>> "renamelimit" as "renameLimit".  The code has always lowercased the
>> whole name.  Repair the docs.
> 
> Please don't do this.

Sorry for the spam.  There was a circumstance at work where it appeared
clear that case wasn't being ignored and it bit us twice.  Obviously our
problem lies elsewhere; please forgive the intrusion.

SubmittingPatches says to send to you directly if (and only if) the
patch is ready for inclusion.  Next time I won't presume that a patch is
ready without review however obvious that may seem to me at the time.

--Pete

> Exactly because we treat the variable name part (and the top-level section
> part of three-part names) case insensitively, the code lowercases before
> comparing as an implementation detail.
> 
> However, you will be naming the same variable whether you spell it using
> all lowercase, or using camelCase (i.e. it does not really matter what
> case the user uses). The camelCase makes it slightly easier to see where
> the word boundaries are than alllowercase, and that is why we try to use
> it in our documentes, which is after all meant to be read by humans.
> 
> I would also appreciate if people tried not to overflow my mailbox with an
> incorrect patch that hasn't been discussed and hasn't seen concensus on
> the list that the particular change is a good thing to do, unless the
> patch is about an area that I am an area expert (you can see who the area
> experts are by asking "git shortlog --no-merges -n" or "git blame").
> 
> Thanks.