Subject: Re: "Nested quantifiers" error in gitweb with "++" in the filename

From: Jehan Bing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:37:23 -0800

On 2011-12-23 08:02, demerphq wrote:
> On 22 December 2011 21:37, Jehan Bing<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting an error when trying to look at a blob when the filename has
>> "++" in it:
>>
>> http://.../blob/13ec1624fefc23d20d0407aac3337b35844a2ceb:/foo-++.txt
>
> This error comes because the filename is being used a pattern without
> being protected by a quotemeta.
>
> Interestingly, a later version of perl would not have this problem as
> ++ is a legal quantifier as of 5.10, nevertheless it probably wouldnt
> do what you expected.
>

Interestingly, a later version of perl would not have this problem as, 
after investigating the problem further, it's actually a bug in CGI.pm 
which has since been fixed ;)

My distribution comes with an old version of CGI.pm (3.15 from perl 
5.8.8). After updating to the latest, the problem went away.