Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] git-svn, perl/Git.pm: extend and use Git->prompt method for querying users

From: Sven Strickroth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:45:55 +0100

Am 28.12.2011 22:38 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> I am however not sure if the second patch in this series is a good thing
> in the current shape. For GUI users who do not have a terminal, earlier
> they couldn't respond to these questions but now they can, so in that
> narrow sense we are not going backwards.

> But for people who use *_ASKPASS and are working from the terminal, it is
> a regression to ask these non-password questions using *_ASKPASS. Most
> likely, these helpers that are designed for password entry will hide what
> is typed, and I also wouldn't be surprised if some of them have fairly low
> input-length restriction that may be shorter than a long-ish pathname that
> users might want to give as an answer, which they could do in the terminal
> based interaction but will become impossible with this patch.

I'm still for the second patch to be applied (maybe w/o the certificate
filename prompt), too, because this makes git-svn behave the save way as
git-core does (especially asking for username).

Do you think that ppl. mainly using the terminal have *_ASKPASS set?
Most GUIs I know do set it automatically.

I agree that a new interface is needed (working on a patch), but before
we hurry, we should make git-core and git-svn behave the same way.

Btw. git-svn also does not honour git-credentials.

-- 
Best regards,
 Sven Strickroth
 ClamAV, a GPL anti-virus toolkit   http://www.clamav.net
 PGP key id F5A9D4C4 @ any key-server