Subject: Re: How to deal with historic tar-balls

From: Dirk Süsserott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:26:26 +0100

Am 02.01.2012 11:07 schrieb Philip Oakley:
> From: "Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]>: Sunday, January 01, 2012
> 6:30 PM
>> From: "Tomas Carnecky" <[email-masked]> : Sunday, January 01, 2012
>> 12:27 AM
>>> On 12/31/11 8:04 PM, nn6eumtr wrote:
>>>> I have a number of older projects that I want to bring into a git
>>>> repository. They predate a lot of the popular scm systems, so they are
>>>> primarily a collection of tarballs today.
>>> There is a script which will import sources from multiple tarballs,
>>> creating a commit with the contents of each tarball. It's in the git
>>> repository under contrib/fast-import/import-tars.perl.
>> I wasn't aware of those scripts. I'll be having a look at the zip import
>> script for my needs.
>>
>>> tom
>> Philip
>>
> I had a look at the script but Python isn't part of the Msysgit install,
> so the example wouldn't run.
> 
> Also I couldn't see how the "fast_import.write(" method was being
> created - my ignorance of Python? Otherwise I could look at scripting it.
> 
> Philip

Philip,

I'm not a Python guy, but I think fast_import.write() writes sth. to
whatever the popen() call in line 24 returned:

  fast_import = popen('git fast-import --quiet', 'w')

I guess it returns a filehandle and 'git fast-import' reads its data
from stdin. My guess is, that -- instead of writing to that pipe -- you
could as well write everything to a temporary file and finally call

  git fast-import < $tempfile

But that's only a guess.

Dirk