Subject: Re: Warning from AV software about kill.exe

From: Erik Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 10:15:29 +0100

Another way to implement this (on Windows) would be for the git programs 
to tag themselves with a mutex. Then the "kill" program can determine 
which git programs are running and send them user-defined windows 
messages to shut themselves down. Alternatively, you could send the 
programs the standard windows WM_CLOSE message, but the OS or an AV 
program might still be troubled by that behaviour.

This is how we implement this type of behaviour in our windows programs. 
It does not raise the ire of the OS or AV since you do not have one 
process trying to shut down another. It also bypasses all issues with 
process privileges etc.

Erik

On 2011-12-22 19:19, Pat Thoyts wrote:
> Thomas Rast<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Erik Blake<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>
>>> I'm running git under Win7 64. As I selected "Repository|Visualize all
>>> branch history" in the git gui, my AV software (Trustport) trapped the
>>> bin\kill.exe program for "trying to modify system global settings
>>> (time, timezone, registry quota, etc.)"
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the details of this process and what it's function
>>> is? First time I've seen it, though I'm a relatively new user.
>> 'kill' is a standard unix utility that sends signals to processes, in
>> particular signals that cause the processes to exit or be killed
>> forcibly by the kernel, hence the name.  (I don't know how the windows
>> equivalent works under the hood, but presumably it's something similar.)
>>
>> git-gui and gitk use kill to terminate background worker processes that
>> are no longer needed because you closed the window their output would
>> have been displayed in, etc.
> You might try replacing the command in the tcl scripts with 'exec
> taskkill /f /pid $pid' and see if that avoids the error. taskkill is
> present on XP and above as part of the OS distribution so shouldn't
> suffer any AV complaints.
>