Subject: Re: Bug! Git merge also fails with a wrong error message

From: Yves Goergen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:59:34 +0100

On 13.01.2012 18:56 CE(S)T, Carlos Martín Nieto wrote:
> You still haven't told us what version of (msys)git you're using nor
> have you provided a transcript of your session or found a minimal
> reproducible example.

In case one of my other mails didn't arrive, the Git version is 1.7.8.

There is no session transcript because I use TortoiseGit and I'm not
going to add a screencast here.

> Gmane is a mailing list viewer and there /only/ is the real maling
> list. The e-mail you provided for yourself looks bogus, but if it
> isn't, you'll notice we communicate via e-mail.

Well, I am very confused. Starting from git-scm.com, the only support
site is a mailing list, and the hyperlink on that word sends me to Gmane
which says I am in a newsgroup called "gmane.comp.version-control.git".
Since I don't have access to the news system, I need to use the Gmane
website. I don't know exactly what it is. I know mailing lists, but that
doesn't look like one at all. There's not even a subscription page or
address. For users of the modern web who are not familiar with 70s nntp
technology and cannot use a mailing list by merely knowing its address,
this is very support-unfriendly. I almost would have considered that the
official Git website doesn't want to offer any support at all. In that
case I would likely have searched for an alternative and switched right
away. Assuming I could have extracted the remainders of my source code
from the broken Git repository.

So am I now subscribed to that "[email-masked]" mailing list and do
my posts show up there? I have no idea what's going on, neither in my
repository, nor in this mailing list. Confusing and intransparent.

-- 
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[email-masked]>
Visit my web laboratory at http://beta.unclassified.de