Subject: Re: Bug! Git merge also fails with a wrong error message

From: Yves Goergen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:05:56 +0100

On 13.01.2012 19:54 CE(S)T, Jeff King wrote:
> Whether you realize it or not, git is using the index to store state.
> When you "git add", "git rm", or "git mv", it is updating the index.

I'm using TortoiseGit most of the time and that doesn't expose the
concept of an "index". I edit files as usual, then select "commit" and
get the commit dialogue. In there I enter the commit message and select
all files to commit. I can add new files right there. There is no
two-step procedure.

> I notice that in your first mail, you mentioned a problem with
> "checkout", and in the second one, a problem with "merge". Do you still
> have the repo around with the "checkout" problem? If so, is the file
> also in your "git ls-files" output in that repo?

Yes, I have made a backup of the repo right after the initial problem
arose. And the git ls-files output is the same regarding that file.

> Which version of git are you using? There were many bugs fixed around
> this area of merge around the v1.7.7 timeframe.

msysGit 1.7.8 on Windows XP SP3. It's a "preview" but since Git is so
old now and there's been nothing but "previews", I consider msysGit's
meaning of the word "preview" as "stable".

-- 
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[email-masked]>
Visit my web laboratory at http://beta.unclassified.de