Subject: Re: Bug? Git checkout fails with a wrong error message

From: Yves Goergen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:41:45 +0100

On 16.01.2012 22:27 CE(S)T, Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:20:42PM +0100, Yves Goergen wrote:
> 
>> On 16.01.2012 20:09 CE(S)T, Jeff King wrote:
>>> What is the output of "git config core.ignorecase" in your repository?
>> None, i.e. an empty line.
> 
> That's odd. When the repository is first created, git will do a test to
> see whether the filesystem supports case-sensitivity, and will set
> core.ignorecase if it does not. Might this repository have been created
> on a different filesystem, and then moved onto the case-insensitive
> filesystem?
> 
> Or might it have been created by something other than core git? I don't
> know whether one can create a repo in TortoiseGit, or if so how it does
> so.

It may have been created through the Visual Studio source provider for
Git, which is configured to use TortoiseGit which in turn uses msysGit.
But I have not written any of those programmes so I cannot guarantee for
what they do.

> In any case, try doing:
> 
>   git config core.ignorecase true
> 
> and see if that clears up your problems.

'git config core.ignorecase' now outputs "true" but I can still commit
the same file (modified) twice. So this doesn't help.

Meanwhile I have browsed my other code projects and found that the
designer-generated file name is sometimes with a "D" and sometimes with
a "d", so it's usually inconsistent. I haven't figured out where that
comes from but it means that this is a common issue that Git needs to
handle well to be usable on Windows. But we're not there yet.

-- 
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[email-masked]>
Visit my web laboratory at http://beta.unclassified.de