Subject: Re: found some code...

From: Holger Hellmuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:56:14 +0100

On 18.01.2012 03:49, Ron Eggler wrote:
> On January 18, 2012 12:16:49 PM Andrew Ardill wrote:
>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> On 18 January 2012 12:02, Ron Eggler<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> Some mishap had happened with my project:
>>> I found a piece of code that is the most recent one that never got
>>> commited to the repository. It is dated December 5th and it definitely
>>> is the most recent piece of code.
>>> Now in the mean time I switched computers so I had to reinstall git and
>>> get create new local folders. Now this directory with the most recent
>>> code, shows every file as unversioned which should not be true.
>>> Only a couple, maybe 3 files had changed with that last change. Now when
>>> I commit this now, is that gonna mess up my old repo or can I safely
>>> gio ahead and commit that most recent code (even tho it might commit
>>> the whole folder) - it almost seems like it forgot which files
>>> were in the repo vs. which files were in my local folder...

Try "git update-index --refresh", more info in this recent thread 
"http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/188291"

If this doesn't help:
Human language is very ambiguous. What do you mean by "found a piece of 
code"? Somewhere outside the repository, in a branch inside the 
repository, in a subdirectory?
What do you mean by "get create new local folders"? Do you mean a folder 
where you copied the repository or do you mean folders inside your 
repository where you created new files with your editor?