Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] git-p4: Add test case for complex branch import

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:51:15 +0000

On 21/01/12 04:54, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Vitor Antunes<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> +		grep -q update file2&&
>
> Do you really need to use "-q" here?  Wouldn't it help if you wrote it
> without it while debugging tests with "sh ./t9801-*.sh -v"?
>
> Also how does this series interact with the series Luke posted earlier on
> branches and labels?

Vitor's series applies cleanly to my changes.

However, one thing I noticed in reading through is that it will break if 
you end up importing a P4 branch that has spaces (or other shell chars) 
in its name. A quick test confirms this.

- the code doesn't handle the names properly
- git and p4 have different ideas about valid branch names

But before rejecting Vitor's changes because of that it would be worth 
considering whether we care (much). My own opinion is that if you have 
developers who are daft enough to put spaces or dollars in their branch 
names then their project is already doomed anyway....

Perhaps it would be enough just to issue a warning ("your project is 
doomed; start working on your CV") and skip such branch names rather 
than falling over with inexplicable error messages.

> Thanks.