Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4] config: allow including config from repository blobs

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:27:16 +0100

Am 1/27/2012 6:42, schrieb Jeff King:
> That being said, I think it would be nicer for projects to carry meta
> information like this out-of-tree in a special ref. It's just simpler to
> work with, and it means the project's source isn't polluted with extra
> junk.

Really? I doubt that carrying configuration in a special ref outside the
normal contents will have any practical relevance:

To manage such a config file would mean to switch to a branch with
entirely different contents. But before you can test the new configuration
in action, you have to commit, switch branches, which exchanges the
worktree completely; and if the config change didn't work out, repeat the
process (and if we are talking about source code repository, this usally
includes a complete rebuild). Sure, you could keep the config branch in a
separate repository, but, again, how do you test an updated configuration?
It is not funny, and nobody will go this route.

Which raises doubts about the usefulness of the include.ref feature.

-- Hannes