Subject: Re: Project structure of .NET-Projects using git submodule or something different

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:29:50 +0100

Am 31.01.2012 23:41, schrieb Harald Heigl:
> Let's assume following Project structure (Dependencies and Subdependencies
> are submodules and submodules of the submodules)
> Project
> 	Dependency 1
> 		Dependency 2
> 		Dependency 3
> 	Dependency 4
> 	Dependency 2
> 
> 
> The problem is if I want to build them I need to build 2+3, then 1, 4 and 2
> again and then the project. As you may see project 2 is a submodule of
> dependency 1 and also of project. I don't feel comfortable with this setup.
> What do you think?

Hmm, we try to avoid that kind of setup as having checked out different
versions of the "Dependency 2" submodule could have rather surprising
effects. We get along really well with "Dependency 2" only being present
in the superproject and having "Dependency 1" reference that instead of
having its own copy (So we have submodules which are depending on having
other submodules right next to them). Then the superproject is responsible
for tying it all together.