Subject: Re: rebase -i reword converts to pick on pre-commit non-zero exit

From: Neal Kreitzinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:21:56 -0600

On 2/1/2012 10:12 PM, Andrew Wong wrote:
> On 12-02-01 4:28 PM, Neal Kreitzinger wrote:
>> Instead of picking commit (a) when the pre-commit hook exits
>> non-zero on the reword command, shouldn't interactive rebase learn
>> to edit commit (a) and tell the user that because the pre-commit
>> hook exited non-zero they need to either remedy the pre-commit hook
>> violations and run git commit --amend or run git commit --amend
>> --no-verify to bypass the pre-commit hook?
>
> Yup, I've submitted a patch to address this issue a while ago. This
> new behavior should be in v.1.7.8.2 and later.

I now see that this 1.7.8.2 release note applies:

  * When a "reword" action in "git rebase -i" failed to run "commit 
--amend",
    we did not give the control back to the user to resolve the
situation, and
    instead kept the original commit log message.

thanks!

v/r,
neal