Subject: Re: Breakage in master?

From: "Joel C. Salomon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:55:37 -0500

On 02/03/2012 07:28 AM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> vsnprintf should generally never be returning -1 (it should return the
>> number of characters that would have been written). Since you're on
>> Windows, I assume you're using the replacement version in
>> compat/snprintf.c.
> 
> No. SNPRINTF_RETURNS_BOGUS is only set for the MSVC target, not for
> the MinGW target. I'm assuming that means MinGW-runtime has a sane
> vsnprintf implementation.

That doesn't sound right; MinGW defaults to linking to a fairly old
version of the Windows C library (MSVCRT.dll from Visual Studio 6,
IIRC).  According to <http://mingw.org/wiki/C99> there exists libmingwex
with some functions (especially those from <stdio.h>) replaced for
Standard compatibility, but it's "far from complete".  (Is msysGit using
it anyway?)

--Joel