Subject: Re: Bug: "git checkout -b" should be allowed in empty repo

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:51:56 +0100

On 02/06/2012 06:06 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> I kind of agree that we shouldn't be unnecessarily restrictive. On the
> other hand, I am stretching to find the plausible reason that one would
> want to throw away the normal convention. Code aside, it simply
> introduces a slight communication barrier when talking with other git
> users, and for that reason should be something you don't do lightly. I
> don't recall seeing anybody complain seriously about it in the past six
> years of git's existence.

In the real-world situation when I noticed this bug, I wasn't trying to
use a nonstandard name for "master".  What I was doing is importing a
snapshot of some code from another non-git project onto a "vendor
branch", which I knew I would later want to merge into my own work
(which I planned to do on master).

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/