Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 1/4] refs: add common refname_match_patterns()

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 08:12:54 +0100

On 02/11/2012 03:16 AM, Tom Grennan wrote:
> diff --git a/refs.h b/refs.h
> index 00ba1e2..13015ba 100644
> --- a/refs.h
> +++ b/refs.h
> @@ -152,4 +152,12 @@ int update_ref(const char *action, const char *refname,
>  		const unsigned char *sha1, const unsigned char *oldval,
>  		int flags, enum action_on_err onerr);
>  
> +/**
> + * Returns:
> + *   1 with NULL patterns
> + *   0 if refname fnmatch()es any ! prefaced pattern
> + *   1 if refname fnmatch()es any pattern
> + */
> +extern int refname_match_patterns(const char **patterns, const char *refname);
> +
>  #endif /* REFS_H */

This comment is unclear and incomplete.

1. What does "NULL patterns" mean?  Your code fails if patterns==NULL,
so I guess you mean "1 if there are no patterns in the list".

2. Since the three conditions are not mutually exclusive, you should say
how they are connected.  I believe that you want something like "A
otherwise B otherwise C".

3. You haven't specified what happens if refname matches neither a
!-prefixed pattern nor a non-!-prefixed pattern.  Does this behavior
depend on which types of patterns were present in the list?

I see that you have described the behavior more completely in the commit
message for patch 2/4, but the commit message is not enough: this
behavior should be described precisely in both code comments (when the
function is defined) and in the user documentation (when the
functionality is added to a command).

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/