Subject: Re: cvs2git migration

From: Holger Hellmuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:17:18 +0100

On 14.02.2012 13:01, supadhyay wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to migrate my version control CVS to GIT. I have few links which
> mentioned about how to migrate CVS repositories to GIT but there is no
> description about how to migrate existing CVS users to GIT?

As far as I know CVS uses its own server called pserver. And the usual 
username and password combo for authentication.

if you want to use git with a central repository, you should use 
gitolite. And gitolite uses RSA or DSA keys that are not compatible with 
CVS passwords. You can't simply migrate the users to gitolite.

Every user has to generate and send the public half of that key 
(generated with ssh-keygen) to the administrator of that repository.

If you have problems authenticating all those users sending you public 
keys, let them check in the public keys into a specific path in one of 
the old CVS repositories. Then the administrator of the git repository 
can fetch them from the CVS (and check that the right user added the 
patch for his new key).