Subject: Re: git compiled on same distro, different versions

From: Neal Kreitzinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:05:30 -0600

On 2/24/2012 4:08 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "Neal Kreitzinger"<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> If I only test a new git version (compiled from git.git source) on RHEL6
>> before I put it on the RHEL5 box is that sufficient for validation?  Should
>> git behave the same on both?  If not, why?
>
> I somehow find this a strange question to ask to Git people; you may have
> better luck asking the question to RHEL folks.
>
> Having said that, one of the reasons the result may not work, off the top
> of my head, is that the binary you compiled would expect to link with the
> system libraries that are available on your RHEL6 installation.  If your
> RHEL5 installation does not have a matching and ABI compatible library to
> any of them, the resulting binary would obviously not work there.
>
"high-level" question:
If I compile git 1.7.9.2 (from git.git source) on RHEL6 test-box and 
test it and conclude that it "works right" is that sufficient for me to 
then go ahead and compile git 1.7.9.2 on RHEL5 real-box and 
expect/assume that it will also "work right"?  IOW, will they produce 
the same results?  Because if not then I have just potentially broken 
the real-box.

"low-level" question:
I suspect git calls linux commands alot.  Git has "plumbing" commands 
that are not supposed to "break" scripts.  Does linux also have 
"plumbing" commands that are not supposed to "break" scripts?  Does git 
only use linux "plumbing" commands?  Because if git commands uses linux 
"porcelain" then the linux "porcelain" change could cause git to change 
(not necessarily "break").  Maybe git-porcelain only uses 
linux-porcelain, and git-plumbing only uses linux-plumbing.

Definitely thanks in advance for any replies!

v/r,
neal