Subject: Re: Announcing nntpgit

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:02:31 +0100

On 02/24/2012 10:38 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> This is something I wanted to write (or see somebody write so that I can
> use it ;-)) even before I became the maintainer of this project, as I
> practically live inside GNUS, but never got around to go beyond the design
> phase.
> 
> How do you handle message threading (References: and In-Reply-To:)?
> 
> Would a commit on the "mainline" (a rough approximation of it would be
> "log --first-parent" starting from the tip) form the discussion starter
> article, and any side branch that fork from them would be a discussion
> thread starting at the commit?

>>From contrib/hooks/post-receive-email I've locally derived a Python
version that sends one email message per commit.  It generates a thread
of messages for each reference that was pushed, starting with a summary
of how the reference was changed, and one followup email for each new
commit added to that reference.  In a threaded mail reader, this groups
all of the changes to a reference due to a particular push in a thread
that can easily be expanded, collapsed, or deleted as a group.  I find
this a convenient workflow.

I believe that NNTP threading works much the same way as email
threading, so probably the same style could be used there.  My script is
still not published, though.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/