Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] http: try standard proxy env vars when http.proxy config option is not set

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:27:41 -0800

On 2/28/12 11:15 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> Usually we would prefer environment variables to config. So that:
>
>    $ git config http.proxy foo
>    $ HTTP_PROXY=bar git fetch
>
> would use "bar" as the proxy, not "foo". But your code above would
> prefer "foo", right?

Apparently I'm the author of the http.proxy feature, though I barely 
remember what problem I was actually solving at the time.  At the time I 
justified it on the grounds that a user might want to use a different 
proxy for git and/or a particular remote.  The "http_proxy" environment 
variable is likely to be a global system default, or perhaps a desktop 
setting, and therefore I'd say probably less and not more specific than 
a git configuration variable.

As to this matter of "HTTP_PROXY", I'm not sure about whether that helps 
or confuses matters to support.  I must admit I'm still confused by the 
motivation of this patch series.

Sam