Subject: Re: filtering out mode-change-only changes

From: Pete Harlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 14:16:43 -0800

On 2/29/2012 11:52 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Neal Kreitzinger<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> A3-2: (Some Desired Options)
>> --name-status learns a new status for file-mode-only changes (ie, "P"
>> for "P"ermissions).
>
> After reading everything above I omitted from your response in my quote, I
> still do not get the feeling that these willy-nilly mode changes that you
> are suffering from is a problem that is general enough to warrant such a
> change, even if such a change is done as an optional feature.

I'll add a vote for the usefulness of the option.

I'm dealing with a repo whose history occasionally has commits that do a 
handful of real changes mixed in with tens of thousands of mistaken mode 
changes.  (New workflow is fixed but it is infeasible to fix history at 
this point.)  It's cumbersome filtering away the noise.

If Git's diff engine could ignore mode changes that would be a big help.

Regards,

--
Pete Harlan
[email-masked]