Subject: [PATCH v3 0/4] submodules: Use relative paths to gitdir and work tree

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:11:49 +0100

This is the third round of the former two patch series. It applies
cleanly on current master and maint and IMO is maint stuff as it fixes
bugs related to submodules. Those were introduced when moving the git
directory into that of the superproject and using a gitfile instead.

The first patch is unchanged from version one, in the second I did
address the concerns raised about the while loop. Those two patches
make superprojects movable again.

The third patch started as a mere refactoring, but while working on
it I noticed it also fixes an issue when submodules are moved around
inside a superproject.

The forth patch is provided by Johannes Sixt and addresses the issue
that under windows both POSIX and Windows style paths may occur which
sometimes broke the computation of relative paths.

Now all issues I'm aware of are fixed and tested for. In the next step
I'll be looking into teaching git mv to handle submodules, as just
mv'ing them someplace else, upating .gitmodules and adding the paths
isn't sufficient anymore. The core.worktree setting - and sometimes the
gitfile too (when the submodule is moved to a different directory level)
- have to be updated too to make that work (That would be easier if git
could treat the directory a gitfile was found in as a candidate for the
work tree, as then we could get rid of the core.worktree setting, but
we don't have that functionality).

Jens Lehmann (4):
  submodules: always use a relative path to gitdir
  submodules: always use a relative path from gitdir to work tree
  submodules: refactor computation of relative gitdir path
  submodules: fix ambiguous absolute paths under Windows

 git-submodule.sh            |   58 +++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
 t/t7400-submodule-basic.sh  |   22 ++++++++++++++++
 t/t7406-submodule-update.sh |   17 +++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 68 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.9.2.362.g684a8