Subject: Re: git push default behaviour?

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:00:07 -0500

On 12-03-08 05:42 AM, Carlos Martín Nieto wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 10:38 +0000, Jeremy Morton wrote:
>> But 'push --force' WILL try to push your (probably outdated) master
>> upstream, killing any changes there made since you last updated.  That
>> alone is so dangerous it seems like reason enough to avoid it by
>> default.
>
> Then don't use --force without specifying exactly what you want.
> Anything with that option needs to be used carefully.

I agree with Jeremy that the default is dangerous, or at the very least 
surprising.

Perhaps --force should be changed to require an explicit ref if 
push.default = matching (and the code finds that it needs to use 
push.default's value)?

By itself that change would make it impossible to use --force to 
force-change all matching refs (i.e. the current default behaviour would 
disappear completely).  I'm OK with that, personally.

		M.