Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] push: start warning upcoming default change for push.default

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:10:39 -0400

On 12-03-09 04:08 PM, Stefan Haller wrote:
> 
> But coming back to the subject of push.default: in our environment,
> "upstream" is the only default that is useful with the current behaviour
> of git.

I'm not at all surprised -- everyone works differently.  This is why the
default is configurable in the first place.

When it comes to what git should do by default, I think it's a bit pointless
to have environment-vs-environment discussions.  No matter how many people
join such a discussion on this list, it can only give us hints to which
default would best serve git's users.  Maybe the git survey can tell us what
workflows are most popular, but even that may not indicate the best default
behaviour.

The point I was trying to make in my previous message is that "upstream"
seems like the least dangerous default behaviour.  Yes, it does not match
everyone's workflow.  But it seems the least likely to shoot the feet off of
people who have yet to figure out their workflow at all.

		M.