Subject: Re: --progress for git submodule update?

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 23:34:31 +0100

Am 15.03.2012 04:43, schrieb Chris Kees:
> Yes, I meant when they have to be cloned initially. It was actually
> the builtbot developers who asked me to post a request because the
> lack of output is used to trigger the timeout and the output is
> conveniently stored and posted to the web so you can see what is
> happening on a given platform. Here is the snippet from the log of a
> machine failing because the python submodule of the project is taking
> too long--clearly a slow network issue since python generally
> shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to clone:
[snip]
> '467ba035ba72acd7df28c648b1a52ecadebe4935'
> Cloning into externalPackages/python...
> 
> command timed out: 1200 seconds without output, attempting to kill
> process killed by signal 9
> program finished with exit code -1
> elapsedTime=2641.623387

Ok. Another option you have is to avoid the long clone times. Clone
the external repo locally (but outside your build environment) and
instead of cloning the whole repo each time over the net just do a
fetch into the local copy (to get the latest updates over the slow
network). Then clone from there into your build environment (after
the buildbot edited the submodule url entry in .git/config to point
to the local copy). That should work substantially faster.