Subject: Re: [PATCH] documentation: fix alphabetic ordered list for git-rebase man page

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:57:43 +0200

On 03/23/2012 08:28 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Thanks; sign-off?

Having just checked up on this myself for a project I maintain and
was sent a patch without signoff (we shamelessly stole git.git's
meaning of signoffs), I have it on a copyright lawyer's word that
you can safely forge the sign-off for anything that provides a
bugfix without adding a new way of doing things, since only changes
that carry a certain amount of originality can be copyright protected.

Fixing an alphabetic ordering is too trivial to grant the author of
the fix any right to the resulting work, as are typo-, grammar and
one-line syntactical fixes (adding missing braces, etc), and therefore
they do not need to sign off on the fact that they have a right to
give others the right to use that work, since they in fact do not have
the right to restrict others from using it in the first place.

Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you, like I did, run into
useful patches you dare not use because the original author gets hard
to contact all of a sudden.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.