Subject: GSoC mentors for Git.pm

From: André Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 16:53:24 -0300

Hello,

I was considering applying for GSoC this year, but for personal reasons 
I decided not to propose anything this year, and focus on some other 
personal projects. Anyway, I was thinking about something that might 
still help the Git organization this year, so I'd like to share the idea 
with you, to see if it's not too crazy, and if it would be doable.

In a previous mail, Jakub said one of the limitations for the number of 
accepted students is the number of available mentors. Well, for the 
project I'm interested in, modernizing Git.pm, he is the suggested 
mentor himself, and also for the gitweb one (adding a JS framework). But 
if he is the only available mentor for both projects, and there are many 
students interested in both of them, only one will be accepted, as he'll 
probably be unable to mentor two students. Is that correct? So that 
either "Javascript library in gitweb" is accepted, or "modernizing 
Git.pm". (Of course, it seems one person can mentor two projects, but 
that's not advised by Google, and Git would profit if there were at 
least co-mentors for one of the projects.)

I was thinking... if the problem is the lack of mentors, would it be 
possible, for instance, for the Git.pm proposal, to ask people from the 
Perl community, like the ones who wrote Git modules on CPAN 
(Git::Wrapper, Git::PurePerl, etc) to help out? Maybe they would have 
different insights on what can be done in Git.pm, how it could be done 
in a better way, etc. On the other hand, they would not make anything 
the git community wouldn't approve, because the community would be 
involved in every step. Do you think this is viable? Maybe there could 
even be more than one mentor per student (last year I had two mentors 
for GSoC), so that we could have one mentor who has a stronger knowledge 
in the Perl language, and another who has a stronger knowledge in Git's 
internals, etc.

If this would be helpful, I'd be willing to contact people to see 
whether they'd like to candidate for being a Git mentor. Also, I'm 
suggesting the Perl community because I know some of them, and it makes 
sense (at least in my head) for the project I was interested in. But 
maybe this could be expanded to other proposals? If this was possible, 
it could ease the burden for the current mentors, and get more projects 
accepted for git.

Or maybe there are more people in this mailing list who would volunteer 
for the job? I contacted Ævar Bjarmason to see if he is interested, but 
maybe someone here would like too.

Regards,
André