Subject: Re: GSoC mentors for Git.pm

From: André Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:43:39 -0300

On 04/01/2012 07:21 PM, Andrew Sayers wrote:
> I'd be interested in doing what I can to help, but I'm not in a position
> to put myself up as a full mentor.  The good news is that I've got
> several years of Perl and JS experience under my belt, and am quite used
> to finding where people are stuck and nudging them along.  The bad news
> is that I know next to nothing about git internals or about XS (which
> I'd expect to feature heavily in a new Git.pm).  I'm also settling in to
> a new job, so can't give strong guarantees about availability - for
> example, I'm pretty sure IRC access from work isn't going to happen, and
> have no idea what the olympics will do to my commute in the summer.
>
> If Jakub needs some kind of teaching assistant to help with code review
> and firming questions up then I'd be happy to help.  But if it needs to
> be someone who can infuse a strong vision for the end result then you're
> better off looking elsewhere.
Well, this sounds great, at least to me. Jakub will probably know better 
how and if you're fit as a mentor. From what I can tell, specially if 
there is more than one mentor for a project, you wouldn't have to spend 
more than 5 hours a week on it. Probably even less. And I think the Perl 
+ JS experience is good enough for it. Maybe you'd be more fit for the 
JavaScript framework in gitweb project?