Subject: GSoC git-add--interactive improvements

From: Corey F <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:07:26 -0700

Hi all,

I'd be interested in making improvements to the git add -p (etc.) 
interface as a Google Summer of Code project, as suggested on the ideas 
page [1].

The page lists some interesting ideas for both larger architectural 
changes and smaller interface improvements, though I agree that getting 
lots of community input during the project will be important. So at this 
point I'm wondering how much I should plan out in my proposal -- maybe 
pin down a few important features and a process for getting more input?

Last year's SoC ideas page included rewriting some commands in C, 
including this one. I'm at least as comfortable with C as with Perl, but 
I'm guessing that incorporating a rewrite into the project would be an 
ambitious and/or dangerous idea.

Any thoughts on how best to approach this project idea are welcome.

Alternately, the "ultimate content tracking" tool to find similar 
sections that might have been the basis for newly added lines sounds 
intriguing, and I will refresh myself on the previous list discussion 
regarding that idea.

Thanks,
Corey

1: https://github.com/peff/git/wiki/SoC-2012-Ideas