Subject: Re: Git push to samba/cifs share fails

From: Emanuel Rietveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:35:16 +0200

On 03/31/2012 08:47 PM, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On 30.03.2012 18:23, Emanuel Rietveld wrote:
>
>> I get an error message when I try to push my git repository to a share
>> mounted with mount.cifs.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if this is related to msysgit's "Cannot fetch to mapped
> network drives (Samba)" issue here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=130
>
> Please note that the msysgit issue tracker is closed, so you should not
> place any comments there. Post to the msysgit mailing list instead.
>

Thank you for the link.

I am not using msysgit. My client is Fedora Linux 16 using git version 
1.7.7.6. What excuse can I use to post to the msysgit mailing list for 
this non-msys git problem?

I tried a git fetch as mentioned in the ticket and it fails with the 
below error message (same as git clone/git push).

[emanuel@f16machine /mnt/win2003share/frog.git]$ git fetch ~/proj/frog/
remote: Counting objects: 18, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (16/16), done.
fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Bad file descriptor

I tried the suggestion in comment #14, which links to 
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123797834905157&w=2 That is a very interesting 
email thread, but the suggestions do not solve the problem.

Doing git config core.fsyncobjectfiles = true on both source and 
destination git repositories makes no difference. Same error.

My cifs server OS is not samba on Linux, but a windows 2003 server.
A comment in the linked ticket claims that he only has problems on linux 
samba shares, not on windows shares. The ticket says it was eventually 
fixed on the server side. Is windows 2003 broken? Do I need to upgrade 
to windows 2008 to use git over cifs shares?

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,

Emanuel Rietveld