Subject: Re: stash refuses to pop

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:56:59 -0400

On 4/10/2012 2:05 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Phillip Susi<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> git stash refuses to apply a stash if it touches files that are
>> modified.  Using stash -p to selectively stash some hunks of a file
>> and then immediately trying to pop that stash causes this failure
>> every time.
>
> I think that is by design.

Being able to push something that you can not pop seems to be broken 
design...

> I do not use "stash -p" and personally, but I think its broken from the UI
> point of view.  The point of "stash" is to clear your workspace to a
> pristine state, do random things, and after you are done and cleared your
> workspace again, apply it to come back to the original state or a state as
> if you started your WIP from the updated clean-slate.

Or temporarily undo some changes and come back to those changes later?

> So probably the right way to use "stash -p" (if there were such a thing)
> would be to stash away the remainder in a separate stash with another
> "stash" without "-p" (which will clear your workspace to a pristine state)
> and then pop the one you created with "stash -p", I think.

That would not get you back to the state you were in when you first 
stashed, but instead to a state where you have the first set of changes, 
but not the second ( which you then also can not pop due to the first 
changes being there ).